Sunday, March 28, 2010

Versailles


Well another week has gone by, which means I am a week closer to being home. It's not that I don't like it here. The city is beautiful, the friends I have made here are awesome, but it's the French that don't seem to care about anyone but themselves. I thought America was cocky but the French bring it to a whole other level. I'm trying very hard to write properly because I haven't been paying attention to my grammar lately and while learning another language is great it is putting a huge block on my english writing skills. Yesterday I went to Chateau de Versailles. I went with my group, but only 30 of us showed up. The tour was for roughly two and a half hours, it was very interesting. The gardens were magnificent, but half of the main parts of them weren't open due to the weather. They don't open until middle to end of April regularly. We walked through the castle itself, the bedrooms, apartments, etc. Each room was more decorated then the next. With velvets, silks, gold and marble what isn't there to love about this place? I love Marie Antoinette so seeing her portraits, beds, statues was very exciting to me. I am currently working on a project for my French Politics and Economy class that is based on her life as the Queen of France. The walls had either velvet fabric covering them or silk. Back in the day they used velvet for the winter times and silk for the summers, isn't that fantastic? This place is like a designers dream, I kept thinking about HGTV and if they were around during Marie's time she would have had her run of the company. She loved floral patterns and light fabrics, so while walking through Versailles you could tell what rooms she had redecorated. Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were the last king and queen to live at Versailles due to the French Revolution. I think that's a pretty cool fact. Overall it was a fun mini-trip but I definitely want to go back there when it is warm and the fountains are on. Anyway spring break is right around the corner, and I cannot wait for that.

Till next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment