Sunday, May 9, 2010

Claude Monet's Gardens plus some

Believe it or not in three weekends today I will be back in New York. It is a crazy thing to think about. I have my schedule pretty packed up so I'm sure it is going to go by really fast, yesterday I went with my program to the Normandy region of France which is in the North-west of France. We went to two towns; Giverny and Honfleur. Giverny is the home of Claude Monet who is an extremely famous impressionist painter. His home in Giverny is surrounded by gardens of the most beautiful flowers, trees, ponds, and animals. It was very impressive and it smelled so delicious. My favorite flowers which I can never remember their names were scattered all through out the garden. These gardens feature the pond with the lilly pads that are featured in multiple paintings by Monet. It was really cool seeing them, knowing that Monet was painting where I was standing was very exciting. I love Monet he is one of my favorite artists.
Pretty similar huh?

After Monet we drove to this village Honfleur, that was absolutely adorable. My program just let us wonder and failed to mention that it was a fishermen's village. It reminded me so much of the Fisherman's village I went to in the Netherlands. It was so cute. I had soupe de poissons which is fish soup, but it wasn't that great sadly. My favorite fish soup is at a tiny restaurant in Lillesand, Norway. This soup had a strange consistency and it didn't have any fish taste to it. When we walked around the docks we came across a Ben and Jerry's, I thought that was hilarious it made me feel like I was in Vermont. Overall, it was a really nice day. I wish we had stayed the night there but my program had it as a day trip so whatever. Next time I come to France I'll just have to wonder around on my own.
Today I went to a market in Paris in the north of Paris, and right now I was looking up information on it to tell you but I realized we went to the wrong market. The funny thing is that when I was there I thought to myself that this seemed awkward and there were no antiques. The market that I want to go to is the Saint Ouen market which is the largest antique market in the world. How we missed it, I don't know!?! Funny I guess. I am going to go the last sunday here I think. Anyway, this upcoming week I only have three days of classes due to L'ascension day which is supposedly a religious holiday that no one in the states celebrates, so my friend Debbie and I are going to Belgium!! We are going to have one day in Brussels and two days in Bruges. We have been hearing great things so I am really excited. Till next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment